Sunday, June 14, 2020

My first 1,000 miles of 2020

To say the first half of 2020 is not what anyone expected would be an understatement. So many of the things I said we were looking forward to were cancelled (Spring Break in NYC, all of the end of 4th grade and preschool celebrations, J's spring marathon, and our amazing summer vacation with my parents, etc), but one of the things that couldn't be 'cancelled' is a personal goal I set for myself - to run 2,020 miles in 2020. That equates to an average of 5.5 miles per day and I am happily on track (in fact, slightly ahead of schedule).


Here's a look back at what I've appreciated about these first 1,000 miles.


Before quarantine, I had what would be my last business trip to Geneva for the foreseeable future in early February. The weather was nice enough for a few morning runs from the hotel along the lake and up to my old neighborhood - I was pretty sure I would making a job change soon, so I truly enjoyed those runs and letting myself have some nostalgia for our amazing expat assignment.

So many miles alone gives you clarity of thought and when that new career opportunity presented itself, those miles alone let me process the options and decide to make a leap. I had been at the same top company in the world since I graduated college and was ready for a change, but I always talked myself out of it. Running and processing made me realize this new opportunity was exactly what I was looking for.


All those miles were the foundation for a virtual PR by quite a bit in mid-March - a pace of 8:27 per mile.



C has wanted to accompany me on many rides in the stroller - at 5.5 years old, she's pushing my strength having me push her but I love her chatter and company. Sometimes (not as often as I would like if I am honest), S joins me on her bike - I also love those conversations, but I know my running speed slows S down on her bike.


Lastly, J bought me a food pod and hooked up Zwift. I have to admit I thought it was a little odd at first but now I love my virtual world runs, especially at 5:45am - there are people running and biking from all over the world together. At a time when we are all stuck at home, I like the comraderie feeling it gives.



When I let myself look forward to the rest of the year, I hope that I keep these miles up and can accomplish the goal. I also hope that things are safe/healthy enough for the following:

  • Celebrating J's Grandpa's 90th birthday together
  • My mom's side family reunion
  • School to start like normal for the girls (both at new schools this year - S to middle school and C to elementary)
  • J's Fall Marathon
  • My Disney Wine and Dine - 10K and Half Marathon
  • S's Fall Cheer Season
  • Some warm weather getaway
  • Ski over Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York City Spring Break

For 2022 Spring Break, we headed to New York City - this was the first vacation that was cancelled due to Covid in 2020 and was cancelled ju...